For the admission to the MA programme in Human Rights and Democratization in the Caucasus a list of required documents was elaborated. One of the requirements is to submit an essay on one of the topics suggested for 2019/20 cohort admission.
Essay Topics 2019-2020:
1. Is democracy a universal value?
2. What is humanism, and how can you contribute to making the “world a better place to live?
3. Human Rights and traditions: discrepancies and similarities
4. How Human Rights have evolved in your country?
5. Essay on Free topic (it should relate to human rights and democratisation topics)
What is an Essay?
An Essay is usually a paper that proposes and/or explains a position in response to the main essay question. Usually an essay topic requires some research that will help you in developing your points and will add critical value to you analysis. Please note that it is crucially important to reason your point with examples.
Your essay needs to include the following parts three:
- Introduction (to introduce the subject and present the thesis)
- Main Body (to present your points and arguments using comparison, contrast, critical assessment, etc.)
- Conclusion (to summarize research results)
While writing your Essay, it is rather encouraged to use ideas and information from various sources (books, articles, journals, reliable internet sources, newspapers, etc.) that will best illustrate your points. However, while using such sources, please do not forget to give credit to the source, i.e. to mention author(s), title, name of the source, dates accessed, either in footnotes and end notes, or cite them in the text. Otherwise your paper will be considered as plagiarized, and that is considered as academic offence by the consortium.
Be aware that if you use or copy someone’s work without proper acknowledgment, your essay will not be assessed.
In order to find out more about the plagiarism and how to avoid it, please consult the booklet that was elaborated by the Centre for European Studies in cooperation with the Essex University
All submitted essays will be assessed by two different teams from partner countries anonymously. While assessing your essay, a special attention will be paid to the content (analysis, logical reasoning, coherence) and style (language, use of vocabulary, etc.).