PROF. DR. ALEXANDER MARKAROV
- Deputy Vice Rector for International Cooperation and Scientific Policy, Yerevan State University (YSU) since 2008.
- Head of the International Cooperation Office since 2006, YSU
- Professor of Political Science since 2012, YSU, Doctor of Sciences Degree (Dr. Habil.) with specialization in Political Science, 2010
Professional experience includes almost two decades of research, writing, and teaching on state and society developments in the Newly Independent States and Central and Eastern Europe with specialization in comparative study of political transformations and institutional developments. Had published widely on these topics and taught graduate courses on post-Soviet politics in Armenia, Czech Republic and the US.
15 years of leadership and excellence experience in implementation of international higher education cooperation and successful history of projects development, administration and implementation.
Founded YSU program in Public Administration within the frames of Arizona State University – Yerevan State University Educational Partnership Project “Refashioning the Social Sciences and Practitioner Training in Public Administration” funded by the United States Department of State (2003 – 2006) and in 2008 was the first Acting Head of the Public Administration Department.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
Values and Identity as Sources of Foreign Policy in Armenia and Georgia. Co-edited with Kornely Kakachia Tbilisi: Universal, 2016
Book Chapters and Articles:
- “Post-Velvet Revolution Armenia’s Foreign Policy Challenges” Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization. Volume 26, Number 4, Fall 2018, pp. 531-546 (with Vahe Davtyan)
- “Armenia’s Foreign Policy Priorities. Are There Any Major Changes Following the Spring 2018 Political Transformation?” Caucasus Analytical Digest104, 23 July 2018 pp. 3- 7
- “The Main Dimensions and Issues of Armenia’s Foreign Security Policy” in Values and Identity as Sources of Foreign Policy in Armenia and Georgia.Editors: Kakachia, Kornely and Markarov, Alexander. Tbilisi: Universal, 2016, pp. 107-144 (co-authors N.Galstyan, G.Hayrapetyan)
- “Semi-presidentialism in Armenia” in Semi-Presidentialism in the Caucasus and Central Asia, Editors: Elgie, Robert, Moestrup, Sophia. Palgrave Macmillan UK, 2016, pp.61-90
- “South Caucasus influence over SREB” in Tian-Shan Forum 2ns session Great Silk Road Articles collection 9, Urumqi, 2016, pp 109- 117